Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Next New Thing

As people begin to depend on platforms such as Facebook Message and text messaging to communicate, I find it difficult to convey emotions through solely words. When speaking to someone in person, the receiver is often listening to the words and interpreting body language and emotions. However, virtual communication through messaging doesn't have the capabilities to include such nonverbal language. Many times, I would depend on emoticons to express different emotions. Yet, these emotions would depend on the receiver to convey. Also, it is often inappropriate to incorporate such symbols in a professional email. Therefore, the next new media could be a platform that would permit people to convey emotions without the use of emoticons. It would have a sensor for senders to express emotions, and a sensor for receiver to accurately interpret these emotions.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Melody,

    I think this is a great idea! I am guilty of overusing emoticons and stickers on Facebook Messenger as well. It is hard to interpret text through a screen and sometimes this issue can translate into sounding harsher or more serious than the person really is. With your idea of the next new thing this type of miscommunication can be avoided. Perhaps you could incorporate colors that correspond to people's current mood. However, the challenge with this is that as humans we tend to have lingering emotions, i.e. my mood may indicate that I am mad and the recipient may think I am mad from reading their message but in fact I am still mad at my brother for eating my breakfast in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - that's an interesting idea as virtual reality is coming to a rise in these past few years. That would be crazy indeed if you could somehow transmit sensory details within messages like pain and pleasures. Crazy -you should invent it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely something that needs to be addressed moving forward. Your idea also plays into something I was thinking about not too long ago: the ability to show sarcasm through text. I think that soon enough somebody will come up with a way to do make all of these things possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a great idea. There are so many instances where you want to convey a certain emotion to the person you are talking to but you don't have any other way than to explain it in a long and convoluted way or using emojis. Having a new media like this one can help alleviate that issue.

    ReplyDelete